Friday, September 3, 2010

LENORA

excerpt @RACE UNITY.COM

Beloved friends,

In our ongoing struggle with making a better world, we have dwelled a lot on color - sometimes to a wearying degree.  I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning with the following thoughts full blown in my head, unable to go back to sleep, so I wanted to share them with you.

I hope Ed Barber, my friend and former boss in Florida, will read this to Lenora.

Lenora

I have a friend, blind from birth,
But she has vision.
She sees the oneness of human hearts.
We had some interesting talks.
Some on color, some on pain, some on mirth.

What is color to Lenora?
White is milk, brown is chocolate.
Black is the tangle of her tight curls.
Yellow is the warmth of the noon day sun.
Red is the smell of a rose.
Blue is the touch of a summer breeze.
Green is the feel of a leaf or blade of grass.
Pink is milk and strawberries.
Orange is her morning juice.

What is pain to Lenora?
Wondering why her son is shoved at school or worse.
Wondering why her ideas aren't heard.
Hearing despair in a friend's voice.
Hearing anger and frustration over just her being.
Sensing distrust without having said a word.

What is mirth to Lenora?
A quick hug from a friend in greeting.
A touch to her cheek in deep conversation.
My clumsy attempt to describe her pretty dress.
My spelling something instead of her.
Holding her hand in a strange place.
Clapping to the sound of gospel rhythm.
The joy she hears in my voice when I see her.

What is a saint? Lenora
What is a friend? Lenora
Who do I miss?  Lenora

Love, Anne
8-17-96

No comments:

Post a Comment