Friday, September 17, 2010

DIFFERENT BEACHES

excerpt from COLORS OF MY WORLD (see Aug 31, 2010)

As a child, our vacations were spent at the beach - very relaxed and happy times.  We were not allowed to go around the bend at the beach to the Atlantic Beach.  Only Negroes were allowed there and they were not allowed on our beach.  I used to wonder if they lay out in the sand as we did.  They did not need to get a tan, was there any other reason to lay out?  I was too busy as a child to get that still.  The surf washed my feet as I skipped along and looked for shells.  Sometimes I would get too far into the water and a wave would knock me down.  Daddy would come running and set me on my feet again,  warning me to stay closer to the edge.  He was so relaxed in the aquamarine water that he could take a nap as he floated on the top.  The white sea gulls could swoop down then make a sharp nose dive into the water and come out with a fish in their beaks.  Sunsets on the ocean water proved to me that God had the magic touch - purples, pinks, yellows, golds, lavenders, reds , oranges.

Being severely shy kept me from doing anything but watching and offering a tentative smile when I chanced to spot one of these brown people who were not to be approached.  I wondered why?  They seemed hard-working, quiet and very kind and helpful.  Their eyes twinkled and glowed if I managed to smile long enough for them to see me. 

Adults are such a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment