Saturday, August 28, 2010

TALKING CIRCLE

Upon retirement I began in earnest to find my spiritual connection to my Indian roots.  I moved to the Cherokee Reservation in the western mountains of North Carolina. Intermittently in the future I will post a blog describing one of the learning experiences in that joyous time of my life.  Unfortunately, due to health reasons I had to move closer to my family and doctors, but this was indeed one of the most wonderful times of my life.  TALKING CIRCLES (written 11-7-08 but experienced in 2004)  I went to a conference in Cherokee called Healing 500 Years of Pain.  I will tell you more of this conference later but wanted to share this at this time.

TALKING CIRCLE

One of the most fascinating and enriching experiences I have had in the Indian community is participating in what is called a "talking circle".  The Indian culture appreciates and practices cooperation over competition (except in games).  This is reflected in the rules of the "talking circle".  One talks, then listens.  A very efficient method of seeing that this happens is by use of an object- such as a carved stick, a feather or something meaningful.  The only one who has the right to speak is the one holding the object, until that person passes it on, no one else may speak (they must listen).  If someone speaks overly long a discrete cough may be done to indicte a wish for a yielding of the object to another.  Most of the time the object is passed in a circle so that all may speak.  If someone wishes to be silent in that particular round they just pass the object on to the next person.  Sometimes a general subject is presented to the group for discussion or a free exchange of anything on someone's mind may be done.  After all have been allowed to speak the object can be passed to anyone who holds up a hand to request being next.  in any and all of the "talking circle" one is allowed to speak "whatever is on your heart".

I was part of a women's support group who used this method to share their thoughts and feelings.

In the Healing and Wellness Conference which planned and presented the "Healing 500 Years of Pain" a set time after each lecture was held for "talking circles" shring of however that particular lecture had affected the participant.

The groups are best served when the group is small but it is still effective if a large groups needs to consult on something.

Try it at a family reunion for an hour or at a group you usually find consultation to be difficult.  it is surprising how effective it is.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, Thank you for your blog. I remember as a child visiting a Baha'i pioneer named Ruth Moffett on the Cherokee Indian Reservation with my parents. Keep up the good posts!

    Nabil Jurney

    ReplyDelete